Will the bank accept my lease, even though the landlord did not sign it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will the bank accept my lease, even though the landlord did not sign it?

I been living in a studio for 2 months now and it turns out the house is foreclosure. Then, 2 days ago, I received a letter for a cash for key for $2,000. And yesterday I received the Notice for Possession letter. I have proof of all payments and emails some in regards to the contract, however the contract is not sign by landlord, I signed it and emailed it back once they decided to move forward. I don’t know if I will find the original copy either, I am working on that. There is a high chance it is located in my friends truck which I used to move. Will the bank accept my lease, even though the landlord did not sign it?

Asked on March 22, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They may accept the lease since it is accompanies by other proof (e.g. of payments you made; the emails you refer to) which show that the landlord had accepted you as tenant. A contract or lease can be formed by behavior as well as by signing; if it is clear that there was a valid lease, referring to the other evidence you have, that may be enough.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption