Will receiving a life insurance payout affect my unemployment payments?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will receiving a life insurance payout affect my unemployment payments?

I might have unclaimed funds in my name in the form of a life insurance policy but I am currently receiving unemployment benefits. Will accepting the life insurance payout affect the unemployment benefits I receive? I have debt and health issues I would rather use that money to address those issues because in the long run would expand my employment opportunities as far as salary and physical ability is concerned.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, eligibility to collect unemployment is affected by income from work--whether as an employee, as an independent contractor, as self-employed, etc.--but is not affected by any income which is not from working. So proceeds of a life insurance policy, a settlement from a lawsuit, an inheritance, etc. should not affect your unemployment eligibility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption