Will my siblings be able to force me to pay rent to my mother’s estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my siblings be able to force me to pay rent to my mother’s estate?

My mother died in 2006 and she died without a will. I lived in the home with her and took care of her until she died. I continued to live in the home and now 11 years later it appears that at least 2 of the heirs want to go to probate and will be asking me to pay rent until the house is sold. I have paid the taxes, insurance, and any repairs that have come up in the last 11 years. What are my legal remedies.

Asked on March 19, 2018 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If two of the heirs want to go to probate, then the home is not yet owned by whomever will inherit it (the heirs): it still owned by your mother's estate. In that case, the estate, by its personal representative (whomever is appointed by the court to be in charge of and manage the estate until its assets are distributed to the heirs) can require you to pay rent: since the estate owns the property, it can refuse to allow someone to live there rent free (the same way any person can refuse to allow another, even a family member, live rent free) and can require that rent be paid. So if the home is still to go through probate, whether you will have to pay rent will depend on the discretion of whomever becomes the personal representative (executor or adminstrator), who can take those actions he/she feels are best for the estate and the heirs as a whole group, such as by bringing in income through rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption