Will my marriage be recognized?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my marriage be recognized?

In Mississippi you can’t get married
without parental consent until 21. If my
boyfriend and I went to tennesse to get
married we are 18 then came back
home, would our marriage be
recognized by the state?

Asked on June 26, 2016 under Family Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, every state has to honor or recognize the marriages of every other state, even if they don't meet the requirements or rules of the first state. So if you legally marry in state B, state A (your home state) has to recognize it. But your marriage would have to comply with all of state B's own rules to be fully legal, including any residency or waiting period requirements.
Before doing this, bear in mind that it's much easier to get married than to dissolve or end a marriage if it turns out to be a mistake: this is something you need to be *very* sure of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption