Will my LPR status affect my son’s travelling abilities?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my LPR status affect my son’s travelling abilities?

I am a US LPR, have a wife and kid in Mexico,
we are separated married in Mx only and she
takes care of him.
Can she apply for my 1yr old son’s B1/B2 visa
so they can visit the US? Will my status make
it hard for them to travel? She has a B1/B2
visa already and have had no issues, also
properties, car, etc and a government job in

Asked on May 11, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They do need to disclose on the application the immigration status of any immediate relatives so they will need to disclose that the father of the child is a LPR and I am sure it will be presumed that they will be coming to the US to live with you and not that they will return to Mexico.  They can, of course, try to apply for the visitor's visa for the time being but they have to be prepared to present sufficient documentation of the fact that your wife is working or running a business in the US and that they do not have any plans at this time to immigrate (remain) in the US.  In the meantime, you can also petition for them so that they can obtain their immigrant visas and actually join you in the US as permanent residents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption