Will my credit be effected if I am heir to a home in foreclosure?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my credit be effected if I am heir to a home in foreclosure?

My father died several years ago without a Will. I let his wife decide what to do with their home. I just got a letter saying the home is now in foreclosure and I am listed as an heir.

Asked on March 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is really less of a Wills, Trusts and Probate question than a Credit Bureau processes question, but let's see if we can help anyway.

If the title to your late father's home is now registered in your name (as it would be if the probate process has been completed or you were a joint tenant on the property with your father -- in which case you'd have inherited it as a matter of law on his death), or if the loan he'd taken out was issued to you, or if you were a co-signer / guarantor on that loan, as the credit bureaus track all foreclosures, your name likely would be reported to the credit bureaus.

If and when the credit bureaus realize YOU are the same person as the one who owns title to the property involved in the foreclosure, that would significantly ding your credit rating.

You may be able to quitclaim the property to your step-mother, but that's something we'd suggest you should speak about with a lawyer in the state where the property is located. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption