Will my child age out?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my child age out?

My I-140 was approved almost 3 1/2 years ago; my priority date for employment based green card was a little over a year before that. The current priority date for my category is 6 years ago, so that means I will probably have to wait a few more years until I can apply for adjustment of status. My son, who is a beneficiary, will be turning 21 this year. When my priority date becomes current a few years later, will he still be able to get his green card under my petition even though he will be over 21?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Immigration Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your son will not be able to get his green card based upon your I-140 and your application states because he is no longer a minor as defined by the laws of all states in this country when your priority date becomes current in several years. In fact, age 18 is deemed an adult in this country.

I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to get your son in a position for legal residency in the United States once he becomes 18 years of age.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption