Will my car insurance liability pay for my 16 yr. Old son accident not my policy

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will my car insurance liability pay for my 16 yr. Old son accident not my policy

Damage to a barn shed and tractor.
Who will have to pay. My insurance
company.he only had a permit and he
was by his self

Asked on April 10, 2018 under Accident Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance company will deny your claim because your son was not on your policy and only had a permit.  Therefore, your insurance company will claim that your son was an "unauthorized driver" (not on your auto insurance policy).  You will be liable for the property damage to the barn, shed, and tractor since your son is a minor and I assume he was driving your car which means that you as the registered owner of the vehicle are liable.  If he wasn't driving your car, you are still liable as the parent of a minor.  Your liability would be negligence for the property damage caused in the auto accident.  You will most likely be sued by the property owner.
Depending on the amount of the property damage, if you can't afford to pay, you may want to consider filing bankruptcy when there is a court judgment against you.  Chapter 7 is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption