I my boyfriend is a teenager will he have to pay child support?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I my boyfriend is a teenager will he have to pay child support?

I’m 17 and am having a baby with my boyfriend. We are not living together and won’t be living together after the baby is born.

Asked on August 28, 2011 Nebraska


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

He will still be responsible for paying child support for the life of the child and since the two of you did not conceive this child during wedlock, you will need to prove paternity. It will basically mean you will need to pay for a paternity test and will need to have the court order him to agree to a paternity test if he does not willingly give a DNA sample when the child is born. Child support will also mean child visitation and possible joint custody. Talk to your parents and trusted adults in the family court arena about your rights, the father's rights and how the court will be required to do what will be in the best interests of the child. Legal aid societies in your county and city might be able to help you with low cost and no cost legal representation. You will also need to think about your future education and child care while you attend school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption