Will military discharge orders break a lease?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will military discharge orders break a lease?

I was just recently honorably discharged from active duty. My wife and I can no longer afford to stay here. Will my separation orders that lists my home address in another state give us grounds to break our lease without penalty?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act, if you are in the military and is sent to a new location, the service person can break the lease he or she has without recourse although the landlord is allowed one months rent upon notice of re-assignment.

Potentially, your separation orders from the military with respect to your honorable discharge will do the same for you. I would look into the provisions of the above act to see if it will assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption