Will an insurance company pay for repairs on a car that is not the same as what what I was told?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an insurance company pay for repairs on a car that is not the same as what what I was told?

I recently ought a car from a national car seller. I financed through the company so before deal was final, I had to provide proof of insurance. I went online to the insurer and provided them with the info. on my vehicle with the VIN that the salesman gave us. About 2 weeks later, I got into an accident. Now I find out the vehicle that was delivered was the wrong one; it has a different VIN. The car company called today and said that they delivered the wrong car. Will the insurance company pay the repairs?

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The insurer is only responsible to pay for the car for which you bought insurance: if this is not that car (not the car on the policy), they are not responsible to pay. You may be able to recover from the car company, to the extent their misdelivery causes you to incur out-of-pocket costs or expenses; be aware that if they will not voluntarily compensate you, you would have to sue them for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption