WillI spend time in jail for unpaid fines that are late ifI go and pay them all off at the courthouse?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

WillI spend time in jail for unpaid fines that are late ifI go and pay them all off at the courthouse?

Marijuana possession and paraphenelia are the charges and both misdemeanor. The fines where due 4 months ago.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely if you pay off late fines that were due to be paid four (4) months prior and payment is accepted by the court clerk, you will not be penalized for the late payment with a jail sentence the next time you appear in court about the matter you are writing about.

However, the judge hearing the case may chatise you for the late payment or even impose an additional fine or penalty as a result of the payment that was not made on time depending upon the explanation you give.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption