Will I need a parent’s consent to fill outa marriage application?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I need a parent’s consent to fill outa marriage application?

I want to get married on my 18th birthday but it says you have to apply for the marriage license 72 hours before the wedding or else it wont be valid. Can I apply for the marriage license three days before I turn 18 without a parents consent so it’d be valid when I turn 18? Or will they still make me bring a parent?

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your state law says you must be at least 18 to get married, then that is the law. If you want to get married before that, you need parental consent or judicial approval. I do not see anyway around.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption