WillI lose my green card when I divorce?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

WillI lose my green card when I divorce?

I married an American man 2 years ago. The took marriage took place in my country and then I got the green card and I traveled with him to live in CA.

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is not an easy question to answer as there really is no "yes" or "no" response.  The issuance of a green card is based upon the assumption that the marriage between the parties is valid i.e., that the marriage is not a sham for the purposes of obtaining residency to begin with.  The law on this matter does not state that once you are divorced or your marriage is annulled your efforts to get a green card are automatically over or that your green card is void. Eve the government (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services (USCIS)) understands that marriage may not be forever. But it is true that a divorce or annulment may cause USCIS to take a second look at your case with an eye toward fraud. But if your green card has been fully issued then you are probably fine. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption