Will I have a chance to settle with an attorney for my debt before it gets filed in court?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I have a chance to settle with an attorney for my debt before it gets filed in court?

I moved out of my apartment 5 months ago due to the loss of my job. I have just started working now but my debt for the apartment (last months rent due to returned check and damages) is too old and is now being sent to an attorney. Will I be able to talk with this attorney and possibly settle before it is filed?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you absolutely have the right to contact the attorney and try to settle the debt either prior to a lawsuit being filed--or indeed, even after one is filed (you can settle at any point before a judgment is rendered). If the attorney is being uncooperative, you could contact the landlord directly as well (if you had an attorney, under the ethical rules, he/she could only talk to the landlord's lawyer; but nothing stops you personally from contacting the landlord).

However, nothing compels the attorney or his client to enter into settlement discussions, or if they do, to work out something which is acceptable to you; settlement is purely voluntary. So you can try; but whether they will be receptive depends on how much you owe, your prior relationship/discussions with them, and even their personalities--some people refuse to ever settle or compromise, for example, and they have that right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption