Will I go to jail for using my aunt’s credit card that she gave her but that I over spent on?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I go to jail for using my aunt’s credit card that she gave her but that I over spent on?

My aunt texted me her credit card information to buy some new DJ equipment. We agreed on $50 a month for a grand total of around $3,000. I was stupid and used her credit card to buy $1500 worth of stuff (like car magnets and promotional stuff). She told her bank that she did not OK that. She says it’s up to the credit card issuer as to what they do. Could my aunt tell them not to press charges? How can I work things out with her? If she or the issuer presses charges what kind of trouble could I be in? She gave me her card info I just overspent.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You knew that your aunt only authorized her use of her credit card for up to $50.00 and you went ahead and charged $2,950.00 above what she allowed you to do. It will be up to her credit card company to decide whether or not it will seek to press criminal charges against you since your aunt properly contacted her credit card company to contest the charges.

Depending upon the criminal charges that could be filed against you and if you are convicted of such charges (or plea out to them), jail time in addition to restitution of the amount that you wrongfully charged to the credit card could very well be your punishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption