Will I go to jail for a retail theft warrant?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I go to jail for a retail theft warrant?


Asked on July 9, 2017 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since a warrant had been issued, at this point you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney. Get one who practices in the area of where the warrant was issued. They can utilize their local court contacts to your best advantage. The sooner you do, the better. The fact is that warrants do not expire, therefore you can be taken into custody at any time, even if you are stopped for just a speeding ticket. In the meanwhile, do not speak to the police without having legal counsel present; you are under no duty to do so. The police are trained and experienced in getting people to incriminate themselves or others. As to the underlying charge, if this is your first offense, you may be able to get "diversion" which is an alternative sentencing program which, if successfuly completed, can leave you with a clean criminal history record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption