WillI go back to jail for not being able to pay my fines off in time for the end of my probation and finish my community service?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

WillI go back to jail for not being able to pay my fines off in time for the end of my probation and finish my community service?

The reason why Ihave not been able is I’m waiting on my disability. I have the paper work saying I will have it in 2 months, plus I had to take care of my father until he passed away this year. Now with what time and money I had left has gone to taking care of my daughter and mom. My dad took a 3rd mortgage out that is $2,200 a month, so there is nothing left.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are having financial problems with being able to oay off the fines that were imposed against you, you need to contact your probation officer about the situation to see what can be done and follow up with a written letter confirming the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

You do need to make an attempt to make whatever payments you can regarding the fines as well as to finish off your community service requirements.

The problem people in your situation get into is besides being unable to comply with the sentencing requirements, they do not keep the court and probation department advised beforehand of the problems getting things completed timely.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption