Will I get arrested by customs for minor misdemeanor warrants?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I get arrested by customs for minor misdemeanor warrants?

I have a friend that has 2 minor misdemeanors charges. He wants to go on a cruise. Will he be detained by customs for those warrants when entering back into the U.S? The warrants are from years ago. possession of drug paraphernalia and disorderly conduct.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Potentially your friend when he tries to re-enter the United States from a cruise may end up being arrested while going through customs for outstanding warrants depending upon where the warrants have been issued from (specific state). Meaning, if he tries to clear customs in the state where the warrants have been issued, the outstanding warrants may come to light by customs.

I suggest that he retain a criminal defense attorney to represent him in clearing these outstanding warrants so that matters can be cleaned up for him.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption