Will I be entitled to alimony if I am disabled and my wide committed adultery?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be entitled to alimony if I am disabled and my wide committed adultery?

I’ve been married for 12 years, the last 2 I’ve been injured by way of an spinal cord operation. Doctors gave me 100% disability (awaiting SSI now). My wife is a nurse by trade but she is not working now. We moved from VA to GA to get a fresh start. We live with her grandmother and I recently found out that she has been cheating on me for the past 3 months. She admitted it and told me that I need to leave her grandmother’s home by the end of the month. I have no friends or family here. I have no income and my only home is in NY where my mother is.

Asked on August 23, 2011 Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation here.  It is my understanding that spousal support in not a given in Georgia but rather than the courts make that determination on a case by case basis.  There are, though, various factors that the court will consider after determining if one spouse has a need and the other spouse has the ability to pay. 

  • Duration of the marriage
  • Causes of separation
  • Standard of living
  • Financial Resources
  • If applicable, time necessary to obtain education and training for employment
  • Contributions, including homemaking, childcare, education, and career building
  • Condition of the parties, including separate estate, earning capacity and fixed liabilities
  • Such other factors as are equitable and proper

Please note that her adultery is not generally considered a factor. Sounds here though that she is not working at all and you have income coming in.  Should that change and she has income then you can ask for support.  Otherwise you may want to consider a move,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption