Will I Be Arrested when I Go To Court?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I Be Arrested when I Go To Court?

i have an open case For Violating My order of Protection against My mother and yesterday she called the cops on me but i left before they came.No report was Made But I would Like to know If I will Be arrested next time I appear in court?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You could be.  Violating an order of protection is a serious matter.  But depending on the circumstances you may just get off with a reprimand by the judge.  Again it depends on what happened at you mother's house.  If you threatened or intimidated her in any way you will be held in contempt of the court order and go to jail.

If by some chance you aren't sent to jail but just let off with a stern warning - pay attention to it and do not violate the order again.  For a second offense incarceration is a certainty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption