Will I be able to move to the U.S.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be able to move to the U.S.?

I was born to a U.S. citizen father and a Philippine citizen mother in April of

2001. I was born in the Philippines. My parents weren’t married when I was

born, and they never got married later on. At age 1, my father registered a US passport but they got the name wrong they copied the info on my birth certificate which was also wrong Around age 8 the expired passport was stolen or lost when we moved from one house to another. Currently, I am correcting my birth certificate information and will go to the U.S. embassy next year to get a new passport with the correct info this time I’ll be 18 by then. Will I be able to get a new passport and move to the U.S.?

Asked on June 16, 2018 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

possibly although it is not an automatic grant of citizenship if your parents were not married and you never lived with your father.  you have to provide more information about the relationship you have had with your father since you were born in order to determine if you are eligible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption