will I be able to collect life insurance on my ex husband?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

will I be able to collect life insurance on my ex husband?

I divorced my ex husband in 2010 in divorce decree states and that I am divested
of all right, title, interest, claim in and such property of any all policies of life
insurance insuring his life but in 2013 he signed over to me ownership of a his
policy I remain beneficiary. I have also paid the policy premiums since ownership
change. He passed away 2016. I am the owner beneficiary but does our divorce
decree void it all together?

Asked on July 23, 2016 under Insurance Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Both actually control... but in order of their execution.
This means that your husband was awarded the insurance policy in your divorce decree.  Because he had the authority to sign it over to you, the documents he signed were binding and with his authority.  As such, if those documents are in proper order, then you are the owner of the policy on his death.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption