Will getting a divorce be easy

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will getting a divorce be easy

I have been married to my husband less
than 2 years, we have no kids or
property together and the house we live
in is owned by my dad I pay him rent
and will be inheriting it when he
passes away, will these things make a
divorce easier?

Asked on May 9, 2017 under Family Law, Minnesota


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If there is minimal property and no children, then the divorce should be very easy.  The fact that you may inherit property is of no consequence.  A court cannot divide or award property that you might inherit.  Even though the assumption is that you will inherit your father's house, he could always change his mind at the last minute.  As such, only the items that you only own can and will be divided.  It doesn't seem like there is much, so a final decree should be fairly short and easy to prepare.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption