Will an attorney accept payment for services from the proceeds of a foreclosure sale?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an attorney accept payment for services from the proceeds of a foreclosure sale?

I just became aware that I am the only person who has been paying dues for the last 10 years in our f4member HOA. There should be $40,000 to $50,000 in our fund but I just learned that there is only a few hundred dollars. I have bank statements as evidence. Our CC&Rs explain that attorney fees for collection of non-payment of dues will be included in the lien on the delinquent HOA member’s property. As I will be unable to pay an attorney myself, will any atttorneys wait until the foreclosure to get their payment?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you are asking here is what fee arrangement will an attorney accept  for the work that yo wish to be done, correct? That is not anything anyone can give guidance on or particulars but rather it is really what ever deal you can make between you and the attorney.  If you want him or her to do glorified collection work then some attorneys will work on a contingency basis  - a percentage of the fee collected.  AS for foreclosure, will the attorney wait for the money until after you foreclose? Some may; some may not.  Again, it is the deal you make.  But what ever deal you make be sure to get it in writing.  And e really particular with the details.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption