Will a warrant for arrest in my home country stop me from getting a green card?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a warrant for arrest in my home country stop me from getting a green card?

I was charged with theft of employer 3 years ago in my home country and ordered to pay a fine. I have now moved to America and married a US citizen. As the fine is now outstanding, the court would have issued a warrant for my arrest. How will this affect me getting a green card?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This might come up when you apply for a green card, as you will be fingerprinted and those will be searched through all databases, including interpol, etc. for possible matches.  If it does come up as a hit if you have ever been arrested or charged, you will have to provide an explanation as to the nature of the offense and the disposition thereof.  If it is something that does not make you inadmissible to the US, you will be granted permanent resident status; if it is something that makes you inadmissible, you may need to deal with that further, by way of waivers, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption