Will a harassment warning show up on an enhanced background check?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a harassment warning show up on an enhanced background check?

Hello, I was recently sent a warning through
text by a police officer that if I didnt stop
contacting my ex I would have a restraining
order filed against me. I have not received
anything written in the mail and I have not
made any contact since. I want to join the
military soon, so my question is, will this
warning show up on an enhanced
background check? Thank you.

Asked on December 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it will not: a background check does not capture all communications, especially text messages, from the police. It only captures official reports (such as incident or arrest reports), proceedings, and filings (such as charges), which this would not be. The text is not an official action, the way that restraining order (if one were to be filed against you) would be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption