Will a forensic accountant be able to track if my ex is hiding money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a forensic accountant be able to track if my ex is hiding money?

He stated that I was not entitled to his deferred compensation when he asked me for a divorce. The deferred comp was now said to have been spent during the marriage. I know it’s a lie. I found something written on a piece of paper about not wanting to be taxed twice on it and his sister and accountant and financial advisor were discussing a trust.

Asked on January 21, 2019 under Family Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

We can't say for sure whether a forensic accountant could track the money, since every case is different. But we can say that a forensic accountant, in the course of litigation (e.g. a divorce case, so that the accountant, through you, has access to subpoenas and other compulsory "discovery" mechanisms to get information) should have a very good chance of tracking it. I used to work for the SEC; forensic accountants were able to track money in complicated securities frauds, Ponzi schemes, and insider-trading cases. The key is, there must be litigation, such as divorce case, going on, to provide access to mechanisms to compel the provision of information and production of documents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption