If my wife left me and she is on my health insurence, can I take her off?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife left me and she is on my health insurence, can I take her off?

A month-and-a-half ago my wife left without reason and abandoned me. We moved to KY 3-and-a-half months ago from NC and she is now in FL. She is on my health insurance through my work and was supposed to pay me for it but now says she is not. Can I take her off it? What can she do if I do? We are not legally separated and are going to get a divorce as soon as we wait until I am a resident here.

Asked on September 12, 2010 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I would consult with an attorney in Kentucky to make sure that you are not violating any state specific laws here and what is going to happen in the long run as to the distribution of your assets.  Generally, you are under no legal obligation to provide health insurance for your spouse.  You do not have to add the spouse or provide for their insurance.  That being said, a Judge will look much for favorably on a spouse that takes the high road to all the goings on in the marriage rather than the one that retailiates by cutting of the other's services (which could be detrimental to their obtiaining insurance in the long run) or emptying bank accounts, etc.  Start the paperwork and ironing out the details with an attorney and your spouse's attorney and then file once the residency requirement has been met.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption