What are my options if my wife won’t agree to a divorce?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if my wife won’t agree to a divorce?

Wife and I have lived in separate houses for 5 years, have 2 children (1 senior and 1 junior in high school). Junior has lived with me for more than 3 years and senior moved in with me this year. Wife is a teacher and I co-own gas station and sell furniture. I have high school degree and put wife through school. Have asked for divorce 4 times. Wife won’t, said she would contest and drag out divorce for years and financially ruin me. Do I have any options?

Asked on December 9, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about getting your marriage dissolved. Your spouse cannot prevent the court ending your marriage under the laws of all states in this country. She can drag out the division of assets and liabilities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption