Why hasn’t the court informed my ex husband that we are officially divorced?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Why hasn’t the court informed my ex husband that we are officially divorced?

I filed for divorce and he signed a
waiver of service and in the form
checked that he didn’t want to be at the
hearing but wanted to be notified by the
courts when we were divorced. It’s
been over a month that it was finalized
and he recently tried to contact me to
say that he didn’t get notified. I’m not
responding to him because we are not
on speaking terms but I’m concerned
because the courts said they would
notify him at his new address and I
don’t want him to keep trying to contact
me about it.

Asked on March 29, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he signed a waiver saying he didn't want to be notified, then notice was not required for a final hearing.  After a final hearing, the clerk should have sent him a letter notifying him of the finalization.  If they failed to do so, it will not affect the finality of the judgment.  instead of contacting him and discussing it, simply make a copy of the final decree and send it to him certified mail.  This will accomplish two things... first, he will offically have notice of finality and second, you will have proof that he signed for a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption