Who to sue

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who to sue

I was in a motor vehicle accident. I was driving a company van and was hit in the
rear by a semi. I know to sue the driver that hit me and the company he was
driving for. Do I also sue my company the company I work for or do I sue my
personal insurance company? For the permanent injuries I received. I am located
in Iowa.

Asked on June 11, 2019 under Personal Injury, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You have no grounds to sue your employer: they were not at fault in you being rear-ended, and are not responsible for any injuries you suffered or costs you incur unless they were at fault.
2) If you have insurance that would pay for your injuries or costs, you can claim under it; but if your insurance does not apply here, your insurer has no liability to you. Check your policy to see what (if anything) you are entitled to.
You would do what you say: sue the driver who hit you and his employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption