Who should I sue for my deductible?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who should I sue for my deductible?

The accident occurred in New Jersey. I was rear ended by someone driving a
commercial truck for a company. I went through my insurance and they paid for me
to fix my car, but they took out the money for my deductible. The total
estimate was 625 and my insurance sent me a check for 125. The repair shop
only charged me 500 total for the repair though, so my out of pocket cost was
actually 375.00.

What amount should I sue for? The out of pocket expense or the total amount of
the estimate? Also who should I sue? The owner of the truck company or the
actual driver? My insurance has not been able to recover my deductible from the
at fault party and has waived their rights so I can sue the at fault party

Asked on February 16, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You can only sue for your actual loss: in this case $375. That is how much you are out of pocket.
2) Sue the at-fault driver who rear ended you, since his careless driving (almost invariably, the law considers a driver who rear ends another to have been at fault, since he should have maintained such safe following distance and speed as to be able to stop in time) and also his employer (since an employer is liable for the accidents of his/her/its employees which occur in the course of work, if the employee was at fault). Suing both increases the odds of recovering from someone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption