Who’s responsiblefor gettng rid ofa rodent, the tenant or landlord?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who’s responsiblefor gettng rid ofa rodent, the tenant or landlord?

I’ve been in my house for 11 months and  I saw a mouse in my kitchen.

Asked on September 29, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, it is the landlord's responsibility to insure that rented premises are inhabitable, which includes pest removal or extermination; even in the absence of a specific lease provision to that effect, this would be mandated by the "implied warranty of habitabilty" which is built into all residential leases. However, there is often an exception is the rodent (or insect, or mold, etc.) problem can be shown to be caused by the tenant. Therefore, if the problem is that you, as tenant, do not take out the garbage, leave food laying around, or otherwise cause the problem, in that case, the landlord might not be responsible for dealing with it. Also, the landlord might not be responsible if a tenant has refused to cooperate with prior extermination, etc. attempts. However, other than that, exterimation and other pest removal issues are the landlord's responsibility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption