Who’s responsible for broken windows, the tenant or landlord ?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who’s responsible for broken windows, the tenant or landlord ?

A kid broke my apt window with a grapefruit,”playing” yesterday. Lease and landlord say I pay or I make mom of kid pay. Landlord wouldn’t even secure it until replacement which must be within 48 hours.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The child who broke the window and his or her parents should pay for the broken window, not you. However, the landlord should get the window repaired immediately.

It is interesting that the lease you signed supposedly says that you are responsible for paying for the repair of the window. Typically the landlord would be responsible for paying for third party damage to a rental under custom and practice with residential leases.

I suggest that you carefully read your lease about repairs. Possibly you would not be responsible for repairing damages that neither you nor your guests caused.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption