Who’s liable for actions of party guests?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who’s liable for actions of party guests?

No lease. My roommate owns the house and allows people to live there for free, smoke pot and grow large amounts of marijuana in the basement. There is mold so bad that the tiles are falling into the disintegrating walls that she refuses to fix and the washing machine has been broken for a month and a half. She also has huge parties all the time and at the last, $1,100 worth of my stuff stolen. Just wondering what the opinion is on whether she’d win a lawsuit for the $250 I could potentially owe her for moving without notice?

Asked on November 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Typically if a tenant has a party and things get out of hand the tenant is primarily liable for any and all injuries and damages depending upon how the third party has been damaged. Meaning, if the third party was injured due to dangerous conditions of the property caused by the tenant, the tenant would be liable.

However, if the third party was damaged as a result of conditions of the property known to the landlord or that he or she should have known, the landlord would be possibly responsible. Whether or not your roommate would win the $250 that you potentially owe her for moving without notice depends upon the reasons for why you need to move. If it is due to illegal conditions at the unit, you might possibly prevail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption