Who is responsible for a vehicle breakdown while using it for work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for a vehicle breakdown while using it for work?

I had just had my transmission fixed. While working for my employer, he asked me to use my personal vehicle. I agreed as long as I didn’t have to haul anything

heavy. However, he had me hauling backhoes and other big equipment to jobs sites. Is he responsible for my vehicle?

Asked on June 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, he is not liable for the damage. You voluntarily chose to use your vehicle in the law's eyes: in our country, employment is "employment at will" which means, among other things, that if an employee doesn't like what his employer wants him to do, he has the right to--and is expected--to quit. By not quitting and agreeing to use your vehicle, you agreed to use it: you agreed to use it so as to keep your job and your wages/salary. Having agreed to use your car, you cannot hold someone else (your employer) liable for the damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption