Who is responsible for damage to a condo,if the damageis apparently inside the walls?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for damage to a condo,if the damageis apparently inside the walls?

I live in the 2nd floor of a condo. My water heater broke and had to be replaced. I have an independent warranty company and since there was no damage to the inside of my unit my insurance did not cover it. My warranty and I paid to replace it. One week later the renter downstairs said water leaked into her unit. I called my insurance and they stated that the condo association master policy would be responsible for the structural damage but the association says they are not and it is between the owners.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you received information from your neighbor that there is some water damage supposedly resulting from your broken water heater, your would be responsible for repairing the damage assuming the neighbor can prove that you somehow caused the damages and establish repair costs.

I suggest that you advise your insurance carrier of the possibility that your neighbor may be making a claim against you. Possibly the HOA may responsible for the repairs as a common area. I suggest that you read carefully HOA rules and recorded "covenants, conditions & restrictions" as to your condominium.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption