Who is responsible for the maintenance and failure of a retaining wall between my neighbor’s property and mine?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is responsible for the maintenance and failure of a retaining wall between my neighbor’s property and mine?

My house was built in 2003. In 2006, a different builder purchased the tract of land next to my house and built a house. The builder excavated, removed trees, etc., graded the lot, and put up a retaining wall to keep my land from eroding into the lot. 2 years later the dirt from my yard began to run down into my neighbor’s yard because the builder did not properly grade and back fill the land when he put up the wall. My neighbors are attempting to sue me for the repairs to the wall and the damage the eroding dirt has caused to their yard. Is it my responsibility or both of us? I had nothing to do with this wall.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It appears that you do not bear the liability for the wall as you did not put it there or do anything to alter it since it has been in place (correct?).  It is, I am assuming, on your neighbors property.  Check to make sure.  But all of this will not stop your neighbourrfrom attempting to sue you.  Ths is America and everyone can sue everyone else for just about anything.  It does not mean that they have a "cause of action" or the ability to maintain a suit, but they can try.  Report the suit to your homeowners insurance companyand let them know that it is a frivolous suit. See if they will defend under your policy.  Of they refuse then ask them to spell out why not.  If you have to hire an attorney on your own bring your policy and ask about a declaratory judgement (DJ) action.  Also make sure that whomever defends you brings in the builder as a third party if he has not also been sued.  This is called an impleader.  If he is in the suit make sure that you bring a cross claim for indemnification.  Just ask the lawyer what strategy is best in your jurisdiction.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption