Who is liable if my insurance policy had wrong the VIN copied from sales contract which was wrong?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is liable if my insurance policy had wrong the VIN copied from sales contract which was wrong?

Car dealership put wrong VIN on sales contract and the insurance policy was written with wrong VIN. I received DMV notification 6 months later that they were suspending the vehicle registration because they never received proof of insurance. Who is liable for the 6 months I wasn’t covered? I paid a full year in advance and was not covered for 6 months of that. Who is liable for reimbursing 6months of premium? The insurance company had the carrier falsify a “back dated ” policy and mail it to me. Also, damages for my registration suspension due to this foul up.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to recover damages for the 6 months of premium you paid without being covered from the dealership, since it was their negligent act causing this. The existence of the "back dated" policy will complicate proving this, however.

As for damages for the suspension of your registration--there is no recovery for  your frustration or wasted time. You'd have to show some concrete and provable loss to recover--for example, that you are a field sales rep and couldn't work for a week owing to the inability to drive, and therefore lost income.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption