If one car pushed another car into me who do Ito go after – the car that hit me or the car that pushed the other car into me?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one car pushed another car into me who do Ito go after – the car that hit me or the car that pushed the other car into me?

I was sitting at a red light and a driver pushed another car into my car. Police didn’t establish who’s fault it was. Now neither of the other 2 cars insurers want to pay for the damage done to my car. What if anything I can do?

Asked on July 25, 2011 Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to sue whichever driver was at fault, or was driving negligently (unreasonably carelessly); potentially, you could sue both if both were at fault (e.g. A stopped to close to you; B ran into A and pushed A into your car). Generally, in collisions like this, the rearmost driver is at fault, but it can vary with the exact circumstances.

If you're not sure who was at fault, the thing to do may be to sue both drivers. During the lawsuit, you will have the opportunity to discover or develop more information about who is at fault; if one driver turns out to be blameless, he or she can get the case dismissed as to him or her as that information comes out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption