who has legal right to ownership of home

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

who has legal right to ownership of home

paying for house 9yrs deed inmy name only ex fiance of 2 months pais off my loan does he have rights to my house to sell it

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

When your ex paid off the home, i imagine that he was with you at the time and loved you and was paying the loan out of his own generocity, without the expectation that he would have an ownership interest.  However, he probably figured that he was going to be marrying you and that the house would be marital property.  Nevertheless, his paying off the loan does not give him ANY ownership interest whatsoever.  Therefore, he is not entitled to claim an interest. Plus, to have an interest in real estate there must be a contract in writing.  No such thing exists here.  Therefoe, you should not have to worry about him claiming an interest and prevailing. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption