Who gets the check for home damage.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who gets the check for home damage.

In Missouri who will my insurance company give the check to for tree damage to my house($15,000). I’d like to spend the money on more pressing needs and fix it myself later. I do have a mortgage.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Insurance Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Even though you have a mortgage, it's your house and you're responsible for its upkeep and making decisions regarding expenditures. The insurance agency has to give the check to you and you decide how to spend or apply it. Unless you get behind on your mortage and your bank or lender forecloses, the lender has no say on what you do with the house and no claim on your insurance. (The lender can and does demand that you *have* insurance to make sure their interest is protected, but again, as long as you're making your payments and not in foreclosure, they can't touch the insurance proceeds.)


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption