Who gets the car?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who gets the car?

My husband left a week ago, he moved in with a friend and told me he didn’t want the car because he would be living close enough to where he works and he had plenty of people to give him a ride. I’m afraid that when we go to court he will change his mind. It is financed under my bank account with my name first and his name second. I made the down payment on the car and the first 3 months of payments he’s only made payments on it for 2 months. I have an 18 month old son that has doctors appointments often. Now that he left my parents are paying the payment for me until I get on my feet.

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Family Law, Maine


Thomas Peppler / Hochman and Peppler LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor


You may keep the car for now and it will be included in the equitable distribution of debts and assets. You need to consult a lawyer to find out exactly how all of this works. If you have not yet spoken to a lawyer I will be willing to bet that many of your assumptions about how all of this works are wrong.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption