Who do I take to court for non-disclosure of the fact that a property I purchased was located in a flood zone?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I take to court for non-disclosure of the fact that a property I purchased was located in a flood zone?

I purchased a house and the seller disclosed the house was not in a flood zone. I have proof that it was at the time of purchase. The sellers agent listed it as unknown flood zone. The agent no longer works for that agency. Do I take the agent or the company that she worked for at the time to court or just the seller?

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you would almost certainly take the seller to court, since the seller seemingly (from what you write) made a material (or important) misrepresentation (or lie) to you. That would seem to provide the basis for a fraud claim, which could entitle you to compensation and/or to potentially (depending on circumstances) rescind the contract.

Second, you would probably initially name the agent personally and the company she was then employed by, to keep your options open. But the agent had been given wrong or incomplete information, then the agent or company is probably not liable--they do not necessarily have a duty to independently evaluate or prove what they are told. However, you would name them, then see what develops or comes out during discovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption