Who do I sue for an accident because of an uninsured driver?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I sue for an accident because of an uninsured driver?

A 21 year old driver in a college town hit my car. She had let her insurance coverage lapse for over 6 months. I have tried to settle out of court on numerous occasions. They refused to pay for the damages. Who do I sue?

The name on the registration – the student or the name on the insurance policy – parents/student?

Asked on June 5, 2017 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You  sue both the at-fault driver (the 21-year-old), who may be liable if she was in fact at-fault (driving carelessly or negligently) and the owner of the car (i.e. the person[s] to whom it is registered or titled) if different from her (e.g., her parents, if the car is titled to them), since a vehicle's owner is liable when someone whom they permit to drive their car is at fault. By suing both, you increase the number of people you can potentially collect or recover from.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption