Who do I send a written credit dispute to?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I send a written credit dispute to?

I have a collection debt on my credit report dating back to 5 years ago from a car that I used to own. The car was totalled and lien sold to a tow yard, then somehow, the car was taken from that lot, driven about 40 miles away, then broke down. The tow yard that picked it up off the side of the road contacted me months later to notify me of it being there, that I was still the registered owner of the car, and that i was responsible for the $5,000+ storage fee. I am trying to obtain any information as to how i can fight this charge and get it taken off of my credit report.

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will need to contact all three credit bureaus separately.  Their phone numbers and more information is available here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/liens/credburu.shtml

I'm a little confused at how "the car was taken from that lot, driven about 40 miles away, then broke down."  Did you drive the car? 

A registered owner of a vehicle is responsible for any liability arising from the car including storage fees while they are still the owner of the car.  Unless you can prove that the car was transferred, that a release of liability had been sent to the DMV, that the tow yard as bailee commited gross negligence, or that the tow yard themselves drove the car then towed it again...you are probably liable here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption