Who do I pay rent to if my landlord died?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I pay rent to if my landlord died?

I am renting a home and the lease is between us a mother and daughter. The mother passed away and the daughter wants us to pay the rent to her. However, another daughter wants us to pay her as she is over her mother’s estate.

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

And of course, you are stuck in the middle. How were you paying it before?  To the Mother and the daughter separately or together?  If both own the property and the daughter did not inherit it automatically upon the mother's death (called rights of survivorship) then you should pay half to the daughter and half to the estate of the mother.  Make sure that you pay by check or money order and that you indicate that it is half of the rent. You do not really know how the property is held, do you?  Who is on the deed?  Then I might go to court and ask the court to allow you to pay it in to court until you are given some direction here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption