Whoto do if I was threatened with losing my jobifI left work when I was sick and ended up needed to be rushed to a hospital?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whoto do if I was threatened with losing my jobifI left work when I was sick and ended up needed to be rushed to a hospital?

I have had an issue with a manager at work. I had been throwing up and losing my vision at work for periods up to 10 seconds at a time, at least once every 5 minutes. I work at a fast food place and the part of the kitchen I run is the fryers. When it first started happening I notified the manager and told her I really thought that I needed to go see a doctor. I was told there was nobody to cover my shift and unless I could find the time to find someone and cover it I had no choice but to stay or I would be written up and suspended for walking out on a shift.

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you probably can't do anything. Employers are not required to either give employees sick days or to allow them to take unpaid time for illness or medical attention (unless that is, FMLA leave was involved, which it would not have been in this case); furthermore employers are allowed to discipline, suspend, and/or terminate employees who miss work without managerial permission, even for medical reasons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption