Who can enter the estate property?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who can enter the estate property?

When my late mother passed away the details of her Will became known before brobate. My sister, who  lives in another country, and I are executors to her Will. I have had a mammoth clean up task at hand and though help was offered by other siblings living nearby it was against my late mom’s wishes. A registered valuation was performed and an offer was made by myself very close to the valued price. This was not welcomed by the other family members. My sister wishes to return to have another valuation(which I welcome) and wishes to have keys cut. I am opposed to this idea.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Generally speaking, the fiduciaries of the estate - you and you sister as executors - have an equal right to be able to manage the estate property.  If the sister you are referring to that wants a copy of the keys is the other executrix then she is entitled to have them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption